Thursday, September 11, 2014

Pregnancy, Week 5

Physical Symptoms: "Morning Sickness" hit me like a ton of bricks. And who ever named it "Morning Sickness" is a complete fool.  It is all day and all night. I feel like throwing up all the time but nothing ever happens. I do not have much of an appetite for anything. I force myself to eat small meals or snacks. And last but least, headaches. Or shall I say headache, because it never ends. Needless to say, physical symptoms have ramped up a lot.

Food Weirdness: I do not have an appetite for anything. I manage to stomach very bland things like plain chicken, oatmeal, muffins, applesauce, sweet potatoes and grapes. Right now red meat or anything super sugary and sweet makes me gag. Along with rich foods. Last night I ate a handful of Raisin Bran before falling asleep because they (my pregnancy app experts) said it may help with morning sickness. I woke up feeling okay this morning so maybe it really did.

Size of Little bug: Appleseed

Workout: I have managed to get a couple of workouts in this week but mostly I have sat on the couch. Walking my dog or getting fresh air always helps with feeling sick.

Preparation: Trying to find a doctor closer to our home. We cannot seem to find anyone in our network currently so we are going to keep the appointment at UCLA on Sept. 26th and ask her if she has any recommendations.

Discovery: I have discovered a new found respect for expectant mothers. Its crazy how something so small can create such havoc in your body.

Funny Moment: Chris and I feel that we both needed support from people who have recently been through pregnancy so we reached out to our friend Bobby and Suzanne (who is a few months ahead of me) to join us for dinner. We wanted to surprise them with our news. They had given us a very thoughtful wedding present full of wine for a couples firsts (home, date night, fight, etc.) There was a bottle of Martinelli's Sparkling Cider in the basket for first baby.  During dinner Chris brought out the Cider along with glasses and said, "well, this is cause for a celebration." B & S looked super confused and told us that the Cider is for when you guys have a baby not us! To which we responded "Surprise, we are pregnant!" It was an awesome and really funny moment. It was so great to talk with them about their experiences so far and now I feel like I have a woman I can go to talk about all these crazy things happening to my body.

Feelings: Its been a tough week.  Its really hard keeping this news from people because I have to hide how terrible I feel. Especially at work it is hard. But I am thankful that I can just sit quietly at my desk if needed. I have some big decisions regarding my job I need to make quickly and it is hard to think clearly plus there has been stress at home (stepson is sick). I know it will all work out but it's all really weighing on me. This in between stage is hard. I feel very strongly about not making announcements to people until after the first doctors appointment but (i hope this makes sense) it makes me feel like I am not allowed to feel as physically terrible as I do. In my mind, I should still be able to function normally because to everyone else there is nothing different going on with me right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment