Thursday, March 8, 2012

Hawaii: Day Four

On to day Four!

Rob and I woke up early to catch a van to take us snorkeling at Hanauma Bay. Hanauma is both a Nature Preserve and a Marine Life Center. About 400 species of fish are known to inhabit the bay. You can also find sea turtles and other sea life. After a instructional and educational video about the Bay we strapped on our snorkel gear and waddled down to the shore.

What an amazing adventure. The fish swam only inches away from us, probably because they are used to many people being in the water with them. I saw many different kind on fish including a clown, angel and flute fish. My favorite was the parrot fish, I loved their bright colors. At one point Rob and I found ourselves surrounded by hundreds of silver dollar fish, it was amazing!

After a few hours of "swimming with the fishes" we decided to head back to the hotel. We narrowly missed our shuttle time so we ended up taking public transportation back to Honolulu conveniently called "The Bus." On our way back we made plans for the evening, going to the North Shore to a Luau!

So that afternoon we jumped back in our sporty red jeep and headed up to the Polynesian Cultural Center. This Polynesian-themed living museum is located in Laie, and is owned by Brigham Young University-Hawaii. There you can visit 8 tropical villages where performers demonstrate various arts and crafts from throughout Polynesia. Rob and I specifically went there for a Luau, where we ate things like Kalua Pua'a, Hawaiian Poi and Taro Rolls. We also learned some Hula dances.

Afterwards we went to an amazing show called Ha: Breath of Life. This was a story about a young boy's journey to manhood and features Polynesian dancing, music and fire twirling. I must say I was very impressed with the performance and felt I learned a lot about the different areas of Polynesia during the show. I would recommend this show to anyone old or young!

Day Four turned out to be a great day. But when we returned to the hotel I realized the next day we would be leaving! Time flies when your having fun!


Hanauma Bay where we snorkeled


On our drive to the North Shore

Some traditional Hawaiian Food

Rob and I before the show


The only picture they would allow me to take at the show :(

No comments:

Post a Comment