Thursday, March 8, 2012

Hawaii: Day Five

Day Five was short but sweet. We woke up to a rainy and overcast day which was pretty much my mood because of having to leave Hawaii later that afternoon.

We decided to eat breakfast at the hotel restaurant called Hau Tree Lanai Restaurant. The restaurant is famous for the very large Hau Tree you dine under. Apparently, author Robert Louis Stevenson, who wrote Treasure Island and other great works would lounge and write under this tree (In my heart I am going to believe that is true, in reality hmm...). No matter where this tree stands in history, the restaurant that was built around it was a unique experience for Rob and I.

Along with the magnificent tree, unfortunately came some pesky pigeons. Rob had excused himself to the mens room and while there the server brought our meal. As I waited for his return, a pigeon, who spotted a opportunity, flew on top of the table and smack dab into Rob's oatmeal. I was paralyzed with disbelief as I watched the pigeon step right on through his oatmeal and on to the white tablecloth, wiping his feet as if it were a floor mat. The pigeon then went on his merry way while he girls behind my table gasped and I doubled over in laughter. I had the server take the oatmeal away before Rob returned. Upon returning, he asked why I had a funny look on my face. I told him the story and he cracked up wishing he had been there to see it.

After the pigeon debacle we were eating our meals and I saw a familiar face walk through the restaurant and sit down at the table directly next to us. See, I go and visit my best friend from high school Sarah who lives in Phoenix from time to time. While there we tend to hang out a lot with her husband Jason's awesome family. I recognized this person as Jason's mom, Jacque. Wanting to make sure I called Sarah and asked her if Jacque was in Hawaii and she said yes. After confining it was her I went up to her table and she couldn't believe it was me! She had been to the Big Island to help with the annual whale count and stopped in Honolulu to have breakfast with a friend before going back to AZ. How crazy! What were the chances that out of all the restaurants in Honolulu, we happened to be at the same one? Sitting right next to each other! It really is a small world.

After snapping a couple of photos with Jacque (sadly not on my camera, only hers) we went back upstairs, packed up our things and said goodbye to our Golden Girls motif room. We killed some time window shopping in Honolulu at the high end stores, turned in our sporty red jeep and headed home.

What a amazing, relaxing and unforgettable vacation with my wonderful best friend. I am very blessed, very blessed indeed.

The Culprit


Under the Hau Tree

1 comment:

  1. Yeah! Good post! can't wait to see what u'r up to in L.A. ;)

    ReplyDelete