Monday, January 16, 2012

Hollywood Sign Hike

Since I had the day off of work for MLK day, I thought I would take a hike. One of my big goals this year is to hike in many different places around or near Los Angeles. Even though I usually prefer to hike in Malibu for the amazing ocean views, I decided today was a good day to tackle the Hollywood sign hike.

There are many different places in LA where you can view the Hollywood sign. One of the best views is from Beachwood Drive. Follow Beachwood to the end and you will find yourself at a trailhead. You will also find lots of cars, tourists and people trying to look cool while hiking. The three reasons I never have a desire to hike in Hollywood. But I soldiered on because I wanted to see the most unique look you can have of this most famous landmark, from behind.

This trail starts off up hill on a wide path, your biggest obstacle is people hiking in skinny jeans and heeled boots who have just realized this hike may actually take effort.

Once you sift through those folks the path will switch back and forth up the mountain with occasional views of the front of the sign. Before your final ascent to the top you will hike up the back of the mountain and will have good views of Burbank and Glendale. At the top of the mountain you will see the Hollywood sign from behind... "DOOWYLLOH". Success! There you can see the entire city all the way to the ocean. The haze was heavy today, so the views were not very clear but I was impressed to see the Echo Park resovior. The only other time I have seen this random lake in the middle of the city was when I ran the LA half marathon in 2010.

I also had the opportunity to take pictures for many tourists who think they have found the greatest secret of LA. Also, I was lucky enough to see people who jumped the fence that has video surveillance to actually touch the sign. Never a dull moment. After I took in the views and snapped a few photos I headed back down the mountain. Only to be passed by a truck going to pick up the trespassers. There is a gate for a reason folks. For those rule breakers this will be their last time viewing the Hollywood sign but for me I am going to tuck this little gem of a hike in the back of my mind for when people visit LA. The hike was a quick 4.5 miles and I give it 3 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment